Programs : Brochure
- Locations: San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Terms: Summer
- Restrictions: NAU applicants only
- Costs: Summer
Costa Rica is an exceptional country of biodiverse rainforests, towering volcanoes and beautiful Caribbean and Pacific shorelines. During this study abroad program you will have an unique opportunity to study at NAU-Costa Rica housed at Universidad Fidelitas, San Pedro and explore the culture and landscape that make Costa Rica so exceptional. The program will comprise of classroom lectures; local and regional field experiences; volunteer projects including working with a girls’ soccer team; visits to political, historical and cultural sites; exploration of the Costa Rican geography including rainforests and volcanic environments; and visit both the Caribbean and Pacific coastal communities and beaches. The program will focus on increasing awareness of the unique landscape, environment and culture of Costa Rica in a comparative context of Latin America, the United States and Northern Arizona.
SA201 Cultural Understanding or SA205 Social and Political Worlds
Course Topics covered in both classroom study as well as in field experiences:
Physical Geography and Geology of the Americas
Diversity of Cultures in Central America
The History Central America and its Impact on Present Day Costa Rica
Climate and Ecology of Costa Rica and Central America
Local Tourism, Eco-Tourism, and Local Realities
Politics of Costa Rica, Central America and the Western Hemisphere
Food, Customs and the Marketplace of Costa Rica vs Northern Arizona
Economics, Businesses and How Work Gets Done in Costa Rica
Urban Spaces of Costa Rica
Getting to know and thrive in a new cultural space
Social Justice: Interpreting action and creating change outside of the USA
Leadership and Building Bridges between CR and USA
Individuals and Teams: Understanding the differences and similarities in CR and USA
Building Cross Cultural relationships through the bridge of sport
The program will including the following cross-cultural experiences for the students:
1. The participants will live in home stays during the two weeks in Costa Rica;
2. They will have programmed enrichment activities and informal time to interact with Costa Rican students at Universidad Fidelitas;
3. The participants will visit the US Embassy to speak with staff to understand better the connections and activities that flow between the two countries as well as first hand accounts and experiences of US Citizens living in Costa Rica;
4. They will have two field trips to a town outside of San Jose to work with and connect with a Girls’ Soccer team including bringing donated sporting equipment from NAU Athletics and playing soccer with the girls;
5. The students will have an opportunity to visit one or two museums in San Jose to an informal ‘outside the classroom’ educational experience;
6. A overnight field excursion to Puerta Veijo to experience the culture, ecology and physical landscape of the Caribbean coastline of Costa Rica;
7. An overnight field excursion to Paquera to experience the culture, ecology and physical geography of the Pacific coastline of Costa Rica; and
8. Ecological and physical geography field work in the Costa Rican Rainforest and Volcanic landscapes.
April 26, 2019: Initial Meeting of Travel Party: 2 hours, Start Time TBD
June 3 – 10, 2019: Academic Classes on Flagstaff Mountain Campus
June 11, 2019: Travel to San Jose, Costa Rica
June 12 – 25, 2019: Classes, Experiences, and Community Service in San Jose, Puerta Veijo, Paquera, and surrounding natural environments.
June 26, 2019: Return Travel to Phoenix, Las Vegas or Houston, USA.
Exact excursion dates and other activities are TBD.
The living arrangements for the students is being organized by Costa Rica NAU into screened host families.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2019||02/15/2019 **||Rolling Admission||06/11/2019||06/26/2019|
Indicates that deadline has passed