SFS TURKS & CAICOS: MARINE MEGAFAUNA (SUMMER II)
- Term: Summer Session II
- Credits: 4 semester-hour credits (8 credits if taken with Session I)
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
South Caicos is home to sharks, turtles, rays, and other charismatic marine “megafauna.” In this specialized summer program, you’ll see these incredible creatures up close while learning about their ecology and conservation through in-water field lectures, snorkel or dive sessions, and video tracking exercises.
- Deploy Baited Remote Underwater Video Stations (BRUVS) and collect video footage of sharks and other predators to analyze species abundance and diversity inside and outside protected areas.
SFS students live and study at the Center for Marine Resource Studies. The Center is a small converted hotel overlooking the crystalline waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Spectacular sunsets, open-air facilities, warm sunshine, and a refreshing ocean breeze define this marine field station. A five-minute walk brings you to the small, historic town of Cockburn Harbour, where students and faculty frequently engage in community activities.
Take back-to-back summer sessions and get the hands-on learning and skill-building experiences of an internship, while also going off the beaten path and exploring the world. Each summer session focuses on a different topic, and you’ll have time to travel independently between sessions. Receive a $1,000 discount on your second session.
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube
Please note that tuition waivers (Lumberjack, President’s Dean’s, Gold, Blue, etc.) may not be eligible for this program, but other FAFSA financial aid (grants, loans) can usually be applied. In our meeting, we can talk through the fine print and see if you can apply your tuition waiver or not.
Make an appointment with the Education Abroad Advisor at NAU for more information!