The Mobility Abroad Scholarship
About the Scholarship
This scholarship is intended to aid students whose opportunity to study or research abroad hinges on the cost of airfare or other necessary expenses. It is our belief that living and studying immersed in another culture/language as a student is a transformational opportunity. “The more we see and know of the world’s peoples and cultures, the more similarities we see between all people.”
- Must be studying for a full semester (Fall or Spring)
- Must identify as Native Hawaiian, Native American, or another underrepresented identity
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Must be registered to study abroad through an NAU approved program
• Spring: October 15
• Fall: April 1
All applicants notified 4 weeks after the deadline.
How to Apply
- To start the process, click the "Apply Now" button at the top of this page.
- You will be asked to write two essays; below are some tips and tricks to create the best application!
- Compose essay in paragraph format (not as numbered responses).
- Compose essay in a word processing program and then copy/paste into the text boxes provided. This will allow you to save your essays and ensure that your information is not lost due to a session timeout.
- Do not format (i.e. bold, underline, italics) your essay in the word processing program because your formatting will not be retained upon transferring. We have provided limited formatting to reconstruct your essay once you have pasted it into the text boxes.
- Carefully review your essay and ask other people (University Writing Commons and people that know you) to proofread your essay for spelling, grammar, and content prior to submission.
All applications will be reviewed by a scholarship review committee comprised of staff from the Center for International Education. The committee will review applications based on financial need, academic merit, program choice and overall effort in the essay and application.
Scholarship awards will be applied to the student's NAU LOUIE account. If you are awarded this scholarship but do not end up going abroad, the scholarship will be withdrawn or, if early enough, will not be dispersed to you. Students awarded this scholarship will be required to submit a photograph of their experience, a short essay detailing their time abroad and how this scholarship helped them, and a thank-you note to the anonymous scholarship donor.